The Elms Hotel inExcelsior Springs, Missouri still is the third Elms Hotel, built in 1912. The present Elms Hotel was built by the Elms Realty Company and designed by the prominent Kansas City architects, Jackson and McIlvain, in a style quite similar to the preceding hotel (which they also designed). However, this new building features fireproof construction, with its steel frame and reinforced concrete. Interior stairways of steel and marble were also designed not only to be elegant, but to add to the building's ability to withstand fire.

The Elms Hotel is illustrative of the Tudor revival style, as applied to a commercial building. The building has an irregular U-shaped plan, with a courtyard formed in the rear. The main facade faces north, and has two projecting end bays which enframe the center section. A two-story, semi-circle bay with flat roof projects from the center of the front facade. The west elevation contains another major entry. A porte cochere, formerly a drop off point for guests, is now enclosed. Immediately south of the porte cochere is the entry door, leading directly into the hotel lobby.

Located south of the intersection of Elms Boulevard and Regent Avenue, the Elms Hotel complex contains many acres, most of which are extensively planted. A parking lot is west of the main hotel, a swimming pool in the courtyard formed by the rough U-shaped building, a small brick building at the northwestern edge of the parking lot (the old pump house), is used as a gift shop. A tennis court and ruins of a stone garage are southwest of the hotel and are reached by a pedestrain bridge. The Fishing River runs along the eastern edge of the property, and a stone wall marks a walkway for part of the length of the river. The Elms "park" has numerous mature trees and shrubs, and a walkway leads south from the hotel. At one point, the walk leads through large yews down a hill, and is flanked by stone walls.

The Elms Hotel has been sold a number of times over the years, and at times has suffered through economic downturns. In the past, gambling became an attraction of the hotel, as it attracted a number of known "gangsters". Other important visitors included oil magnate Harry Sinclair, artist Thomas Hart Benton, and TV personality Dave Garroway. President Harry Truman spent the 1948 election night at the Elms. The Elms is a significant landmark in Excelsior Springs, and is currently listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

The Elms Pump House
The former pump house for the Elms is a simple, gable-roof brick building. The building is on the former site of the Sulpho Saline Well, a frame building which included an 80-ft. high well tower in 1894. The well itself was 1100-ft. deep. By 1900, a bowling alley had been constructed north of the well, and a bath house and swimming pool was immediately adjoining to the south. These are evident through the 1909 Sanborn map. By 1913, though, this small brick pump house was constructed. It served as the pump house through at least 1942. When the Elms Hotel burned, its owner also happened to own the Sulpho Saline well. The hotel loss was such a substantial one, that the owner said he would be compelled to shut down unless he could sell the water to help defray expenses. Although some said it would kill the town if the mineral waters were sold, the city board gave him permission. At one time, so much Sulpho Saline was sold that the well employed two girls to dispense water, as well as a cashier. They were open from 5:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. The familiar sign of Sulpho Saline was "Three Owls", with the verse "We're out all night; Til broad daylight; But we drink; SULPHO SALINE; In the morning". The building houses The Cottage Gift Shop today.

Return to top